Friday 26 October 2012

e.l.f High Definition Powder Review (Picture heavy!)

Hello lovelies!

So, my love-affair with e.l.f continues.

I've had my eye on this product for a while, and finally decided to just buy it already while out shopping at my local Target store. I have a hard time avoiding the e.l.f display whenever I'm there, so this purchase was inevitable  Behold, the e.l.f High Definition Powder--



It is a bit pricier than the average e.l.f product, costing about $6 instead of the usual $1-3, but I still think it's a decent price for the amount and quality of product that you get. Each jar contains 8g of powder, and is available in three shades: Translucent, Shimmer, and Corrective Yellow. I purchased the original Translucent shade, and I think it's the only shade out of the three currently sold in Target stores. You can purchase Shimmer and Corrective Yellow on eyeslipsface.com.

A closer look:



The container itself is a matte black plastic jar with rounded corners, with the e.l.f logo and product name printed in simple white text on the lid. While the type of plastic is easily smudged by fingers, the jar feels sturdy and well-made. The lid is a basic twist-off device, and each jar comes with a plastic sifter inside to keep the product in place. It also comes with a powder puff, which I do actually like- It's soft and decently-sized. The only worry I have is that it seems like the puff will become dirty after a while, and there is no easy way to clean it, so I'll probably end up switching to a face brush. 





So what about the actual powder? Does it work? 

Yes! It had been a while since I last used a loose finishing powder, as most of my powders before this one had been pressed in compacts, so I felt a little bit skeptical about how the High Definition Powder would perform, but after using it exclusively for the last two weeks, I can happily say that it blew my expectations out of the water!


 I used it after I applied foundation, but before any blush/bronzer. Since the powder is translucent, it blended wonderfully onto my skin whether I used the included powder puff or my own brush, and I didn't see any white discoloration on my skin. I would say that anyone with a very dark skin tone might have a bit more trouble blending it out fully, but my own skin is very light, so I can't give a yes-or-no answer for sure.

The packaging claims that the powder creates a "soft focus" effect on the skin, and I think I have to agree with that. It's strange, but the powder does kind of  "soften" the look of my skin, and it is a surprisingly flattering look that I think would do wonders for anybody. The powder doesn't build up in my pores or any lines around my mouth or eyes, and it extends the wear of my foundation by at least two hours or more, depending on the weather. I put it to the test by wearing it over my foundation when I went to volunteer at a local animal shelter, and at the end of the day, my makeup was still intact after several hours of direct-sunlight-sweat and plenty of dog kisses.

My only gripe is that I wish there was more product in the jar, since it feels like it's not as filled as it could be, but overall I am very satisfied with this purchase and will most likely be purchasing another jar when this one runs out. Way to go, e.l.f!

xo,

Kieran


Disclaimer: Any products mentioned in this post were purchased with my own money, and I am receiving no compensation from e.l.f. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own. Lace Escapades is not affiliated with e.l.f. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...